WHO WE ARE
We are an evangelical Christian denomination with a ministry presence in 156 nations of the world. The longer than shorter answer is an international denomination that began in 1908 – with its historical background in the teachings of Wesley’s Methodism and the American Holiness Movement. Based in Lenexa, Kansas, the Church of the Nazarene is represented in 156 nations of the world, and has a membership of more than 2 million worshiping in more than 26,000 congregations worldwide.
To know Christ, and tell others about Him. Our goal is to be a place where you can be part of a family that loves God and loves people. With the Bible as our guide, we want to share the love of Jesus with our community and around the world.
AGREED STATEMENT OF BELIEF
These are the beliefs Nazarenes hold to be true:
- We believe in one God-the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.
- We believe that the Old and New Testament Scriptures, given by plenary inspiration, contain all truth necessary to faith and Christian living.
- We believe that man is born with a fallen nature, and is, therefore, inclined to evil, and that continually.
- We believe that the finally impenitent are hopelessly and eternally lost.
- We believe that the atonement through Jesus Christ is for the whole human race; and that whosoever repents and believes on the Lord Jesus Christ is justified and regenerated and saved from the dominion of sin.
- We believe that believers are to be sanctified wholly, subsequent to regeneration, through faith in the Lord Jesus Christ.
- We believe that the Holy Spirit bears witness to the new birth, and also to the entire sanctification of believers.
- We believe that our Lord will return, the dead will be raised, and the final judgment will take place.
ARTICLES OF FAITH
- We Believe in one GOD, the Creator of all things, who reveals himself as Father, Son and Spirit.
- We Believe in Jesus Christ, who is fully God and fully man at the same time, who became like us to bring about our salvation.
- We Believe in the Holy Spirit, who is active in the world, bringing us to salvation.
- We Believe that the Bible is the Word of God, giving us all we need to know about how to be saved.
- We Believe that we are all sinners by both nature and act and need God's forgiveness and cleansing.
- We Believe that Jesus Christ died on the Cross and that, by trusting in His death, we can be restored to a right relation to God.
- We Believe that God has enabled us to turn to Him from sin but that He has not forced us to do so.
- We Believe that each person must repent, turn away from his sins, and trust Christ to accept him.
- We Believe that when we turn from sin and trust in Christ, the old record of sin is wiped clean, and we are born anew, thus becoming part of the family of God.
- We Believe that after being born anew, we need the fullness of God's Spirit in our hearts. When we make a complete commitment to Him, He cleanses our spirit, fills us with His perfect love, and gives us the power to live victoriously.
- We Believe that the Church is the Body of Christ, carrying on His mission through the power of the Holy Spirit.
- We Believe in baptism and urge people to be baptized as Christians.
- We Believe in the Lord's Supper.
- We Believe that God can heal. We pray for healing. We also believe that He can work through medical science.
- We Believe that Jesus Christ is coming again.
- We Believe that everyone will face the judgment of God with its rewards and punishments.
For a more detailed version of our Articles of Faith, click here.
OUR CORE VALUES
We Are a Christian People
As members of the Church Universal, we join with all true believers in proclaiming the Lordship of Jesus Christ and in embracing the historic Trinitarian creedal statements of Christian faith. We value our Wesleyan-Holiness heritage and believe it to be a way of understanding the faith that is true to Scripture, reason, tradition, and experience. more >>
We Are a Holiness People
God, who is holy, calls us to a life of holiness. We believe that the Holy Spirit seeks to do in us a second work of grace, called by various terms including "entire sanctification" and "baptism with the Holy Spirit"-cleansing us from all sin, renewing us in the image of God, empowering us to love God with our whole heart, soul, mind, and strength, and our neighbors as ourselves, and producing in us the character of Christ. Holiness in the life of believers is most clearly understood as Christlikeness. more >>
We Are a Missional People
We are a sent people, responding to the call of Christ and empowered by the Holy Spirit to go into all the world, witnessing to the Lordship of Christ and participating with God in the building of the Church and the extension of His kingdom (Matthew 28:19-20; 2 Corinthians 6:1). Our mission (a) begins in worship, (b) ministers to the world in evangelism and compassion, (c) encourages believers toward Christian maturity through discipleship, and (d) prepares women and men for Christian service through Christian higher education. more >>
back to top